This week in history
July 24 1880: The political trial of members of the combined groups, Narodnaia Volia and Chorny Peredel, begins in Kyiv.
1990: Ukraine’s national blue-and-yellow flag is raised for the first time in front of the building of Kyiv’s City Council of People’s Deputies, alongside the national flag of the Ukrainian SSR.
July 25 1920: White Guard units deployed in the vicinity of Aleksandrivsk launch an offensive to occupy the Donbas.
1983: The 4,451 km-long Urengoi-Pomary-Uzhhorod transcontinental gas pipeline is completed.
July 26 1648: Cossack regiments led by Maksym Kryvonis defeat Jeremi Wisniowiecki’s troops at Starokostiantyniv.
1995: Ukraine and Russia sign an agreement on the underlying principles of Ukrainian and Russian financial-industrial groups, cooperation on environmental protection, etc.
July 27 1649: Insurgents led by Bohdan Khmelnytsky defeat the Polish army at Zbarazh.
1991: Kyiv hosts a Rukh-organized convention of army officers; the Army Officers Union of Ukraine is founded with the main objective of forming the Ukrainian National Army.
July 28 1945: The restored History Museum opens in Lviv.
1993: Ukraine’s defense minister and his US counterpart sign a memorandum of understanding in Washington, D.C.
July 29 1880: The Ivan Aivazovsky Art Gallery opens in the Crimean city of Feodosiia.
1994: The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine suspends privatization proceedings in the country.
July 30 1920: The newly-formed Ukrainian Military Organization (UVO) is headed by Yevhen Konovalets.
1944: The Radnarkom of the Ukrainian SSR and the CC CP(B)U resolve to adopt measures for the struggle against child homeless and neglected children in Ukraine.
Newspaper output №:
№22, (2007)Section
Day After Day